Longing for Jesus! Is it possible to miss someone while they are still with you? I would have never believed it possible until my oldest daughter reached her senior year in high school. For that whole year I already missed her, knowing that once she left for college she may never be back to stay, and in the end, that is exactly what happened!
1. These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.
2. They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.
3. And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
4. But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.
5. But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?
6But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
Is it possible to miss someone while they are still with you? I would have never believed it possible until my oldest daughter reached her senior year in high school. For that whole year I already missed her, knowing that once she left for college she may never be back to stay.
I was correct in my assumption. Being a piano major, she spent every summer working on campus so she could continue her piano lessons, and then was married between her junior and senior year of college.
I know this does not compare with what the disciples were feeling, but it does give me a little idea of what the disciples were experiencing at this time. Every time He talked about leaving, they were filled with a longing for Jesus, hoping that He would never leave.
We know that everything that Jesus promised to the disciples was fulfilled. God did send the Comforter to them, who not only guided them in their work for the Lord, but also prepared hearts to receive the message they would bring to the people.
Today we also experience a longing for our Savior, not unlike what the disciples experienced. We long to see Him and live with Him; we long for the day when we can fellowship with Him face to face.
It is good for us to reflect upon these things, and take the time to fellowship with the Comforter who dwells within our hearts. May this longing for Jesus drive us to Him, and help us to think of each day as a new day of service for Him.
Face to face I shall behold Him,
Face to face to see and know,
When with rapture I behold Him,
Jesus Christ who loves me so.