Faith of Abraham
is a part of a series of womens devotions
from Hebrews 11 entitled Lonely Road of Faith.
8. By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
9. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
10. For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
Hebrews 11:8-10, King James Version
1. Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2. And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
3. And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
4. So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.
5. And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.
Genesis 12:1-5, King James Version
As we continue our study of Hebrews 11, the Great Hall of Faith, we look at the Faith of Abraham. Abraham was living in Haran when God first called out to him. Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee.
God looked down upon the sinful and wicked men of that day who worshiped false gods, and plucked Abraham from among them. By faith Abraham, heeding the call of God, left the land of his fathers to go wherever God would lead him.
How quickly are we willing to be uprooted from our way of life to follow after God? How comfortable have we become living our day to day lives without any thought of being willing to follow the leading of God to the ends of the earth?
It is true, in most cases God chooses to leave us right where we are to be a testimony for Him. But, as a child of God, our focus in our every day life must be upon God and our service to Him rather than looking good to those around us and amassing a fortune.
Several chapters of Genesis are devoted to the life of Abraham; the faith of Abraham demonstrated in chapter 12 remains steadfast throughout his entire life. What was the basis of that faith? Hebrews 11:10 tells us: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
Pray today that your faith would be strong as you look for a city which hath foundations, whose building and maker is God.
Build Your Own Web Site!
Build Your Own Web Site!
Devotional Reflections Member of 5 Pillar Club
from the Bible
Member of 5 Pillar Club