A Bible Devotion from Psalm 119 Vs 17-24
The Law of God is True!
17. Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your Word.
18. Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
19. I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me.
20. My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
21. You rebuke the arrogant, who are cursed and who stray from your commands.
22. Remove from me scorn and contempt, for I keep your statutes.
23. Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees.
24. Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.
Psalm 119 Vs 17-24, NKJV
This section of the 119th Psalm reminds us that as Christians we are strangers here on earth; this world is not our home. We need to be constantly reminded of that fact, for so often those around us will scorn us, slander us, and hold us in contempt. We must develop a tough skin as we realize that the views of those around us are irrelevant. It only matters what God thinks of us. We must never forget that our true home is Heaven.
How does the Psalmist address this problem? He meditates on God's decrees, considers them his delight, and views them as His counselors. This assumes that you know God's decrees! Spend time in God's Word, prayer, and meditation. As Christians it is our duty to read and study the Word of God. Along with this, we learn His Word primarily by listening to the preaching of His word by faithful ministers of God. Secondly, read sites devoted to encouraging and learning the truths of God and applying them to our own lives. Thirdly, purchase study aids, devotional aids, cds, etc.
Pray that you, along with the Psalmist can say: Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.
More Devotions on the 119th Psalm Vs 17-24 from my blog, Daily Bible Devotions.
A Longing Soul, verses 17-20
Best Way, verses 21-24